It's a song we sing with our kids and it goes a little something like this...

"I love you (insert your name here),
Oh yes I do,
I love you (insert your name here),
this much is true,
when you're not with me, I'm blue
Oh, (insert your name here) I love you
Oh, (insert your name here) I love you!

Monday, April 18, 2011

{organized simplicity}

one of my 2011 resolutions "intentions" is to simplify.  simplify our home, our finances, our routines...and anything else i can think of.  for me, when things are orderly and neat, when they make sense and are intentional, i feel like i can function at my best.  it creates a calm and peace in our home that we so desire.

the first thing i set out to tackle is the clutter in our home.  the things we have that don't work, don't work for us, we don't need, don't love, don't use, have too much of...you get the picture.  i am going through the house room by room asking myself questions like "do we love it?, do we use it?, does it belong here?, if we were moving, would i pack it?, is it something i find beautiful to look at?", etc.  i am trying to be ruthless, knowing that simplifying in this way will only make managing our home easier.  less stuff to pick up, put away, dust, store, search through when looking for something i really need...just less things to fill my mind and available space in our home.  it helps to visualize our preferred future and what we really want to surround ourselves with.

already it has felt quite freeing to pack up boxes to donate and bags to throw away.  i want to surround my family with things we love and appreciate and not just more stuff for the sake of stuff.  and if another person can use or benefit from what was just cluttering our home, that's even greater incentive.


i heard about the book Organized Simplicity somewhere online and immediately ordered it to help me figure all this out.  i felt like i needed a roadmap and a little bit of a pep talk.  i devoured this book in no time.  i highly recommend it if you are looking to simplify as well.  she offers some great suggestions.

so to keep it real, i've gotten the playroom, bathroom, and boys' room done. the master bedroom is almost done and i've started the office.  i called and scheduled an amvets pick-up for next week to help keep me motivated.  the downstairs is gonna take a while, but next week is spring break for the kids and i hope to take a big chunk out of it.

wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

we love hearing from you!