It's a song we sing with our kids and it goes a little something like this...

"I love you (insert your name here),
Oh yes I do,
I love you (insert your name here),
this much is true,
when you're not with me, I'm blue
Oh, (insert your name here) I love you
Oh, (insert your name here) I love you!

Saturday, April 2, 2011

{call + response}


have you seen this documentary?  it's an amazing film about modern day slavery.  mike called it a "rockumentary" since it is an artistic response through music.

REUNION showed it as part of our Freedom Sunday celebration.  it is thought provoking and will truly make think you about what is happening in our neighborhoods and the world around us.  slavery is more prevalent today than it ever has been in all of history. i didn't know that.  forced labor, child labor, sex trafficking, child soldiers, childhood prostitution.  and did you know it's more profitable that both the drug and arms trade combined. it's the fastest growing crime in america.

you can order it on netflix here.  seriously...order it now.  watch the trailer here.

we are trying to think through what our response can be as a community and as a family.  one of the quotes that really spoke to me was when ashley judd said that she didn't want to wear someone else's despair.  (speaking of child & forced labor in clothing manufacturing.)  i am often the one looking for the best deal, but i imagine that must mean someone isn't being treated or paid fairly somewhere down the chain of production.  we are trying to consider how we inadvertently contribute to this crime and how we can make choices that promote love and justice for all.

i would want someone to think about those things if it was my child in the video.

No comments:

Post a Comment

we love hearing from you!